Why is the NTDSC necessary?
A fundamental objective of the government’s National Tourism Development Strategy is to make Hungary a leading tourism region in Central Europe and to reach 50 million guest nights by 2030. Another declared objective is the development of digital tourism, which aims to expand the options for digital solutions, services and experiences in the entire sector. Up-to-date data of sufficient quantity and depth suitable for making tourism development decisions, i.e. relevant statistical data, are essential for achieving the desired objectives.
The objectives of digital statistical data collection:
- the accurate and up-to-date measurement of the turnover and statistical traffic data of all domestic accommodation sites, catering establishments, and tourist attractions;
- integration of the data relevant to the more efficient planning of strategy aimed at sectoral competitiveness, developments and campaigns, and for measuring their effectiveness;
- preparation of forecasts on expected guest turnover based on accommodation occupancy and reservation data, which can be used to identify intervention points more effectively;
- the creation of a single, national, up-to-date database of accommodation sites, catering establishments and tourist attractions;
- combating corruption in the tourism sector.
Which data are included in the NTDSC?
Based on the depersonalised statistical data from the accommodation sites, the NTDSC presents the most important tourism indices: how many tourists from which countries spend how many days in Hungarian accommodation, what services they receive, and how much money they spend. The data reported by accommodation sites to the NTDSC consist in large part of the data specified in the Central Statistical Office’s forms numbered 1036 and 1761. These are supplemented with some more modern concepts that help with analysis, such as sales channels or guest segments. Together with the data reported by catering establishments and tourist attractions, the NTDSC can provide a comprehensive overview of the performance of the tourism sector in Hungary. The NTDSC only collects cumulative statistical data for tourism purposes.